Army 's new SDM can big Army glean advice from our favorite SDM stlyed rifles.

Home Forums Equipment Rifles Army 's new SDM can big Army glean advice from our favorite SDM stlyed rifles.

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  bryon_e 2 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Paratrooper4life
    Participant

I say lets post up some pics of our own favorite SDM (Squad Designated Marksman) rifles.
    Lets define the roll it is to play and What works/ doesn’t work?

Anonymous

My two “DMR-ish” style rifles:

6.5G(18) on the left in the pic, with L&S mk6 3-18x T3, RAPTAR and PVS-30
    5.56(18) on the right in the pic, with Burris xtr2 3-15x scr-mil, Radius and UTC-x

==
    Shot of dmr-ish and gear used for creek walk. We live in a rural area, our land contains pastures for cattle (we have 27 head currently) but also a creek system and woods. I go on periodic “creek walks” with some gear. These help practice moving in constricted terrain, and setting up positions and moving and observing, etc. I specifically setup and tore down the tripod several times during the multi-hour “creek walk” as well as observing with other optics. Practicing with the gear !

==
    These pics don’t do justice, our creek bank is 40-50 feet high in some parts, though it looks like it is 5 feet in the pic 😀

==
    I was out practicing ranging and observing with the RAPTAR and the UTC-x (off the tripod) one night, when I spotted a yote coming in to the chicken coup area … I was able to dispatch the yote, though I realize site restrictions do not allow me to post pic of the yote, but this is the rifle as it was setup for that event. This is the 6.5G(18)

==
    Practicing with the 5.56(18) and the PVS-30 on 500yd steel

==
    Same steel (heated with propane torch for the thermal) at 500yds thru the UTC-x

==
    Recent reconfig on the 6.5G(18) without the “rails on rails”, going lighter

==
    Practicing with the new NF 7-35x T3 seated tripod at 750yds FP

==
    5.56(18) from 660yd FP

Anonymous

For me the role, for the DMR-ish is to be smaller and lighter than the bolt guns, i.e. easier to move with. And for the small frame to be able to hit IPSC-D steel out to 750yds night, day, rain/snow or shine. Pretty much any weather with wind under about 35 mph. For the large frame, distance out to 900yds. These are the distances these rounds go transonic in my environment.
    This year, I hope to improve accuracy/precision to going for “face shots”. The IPSC-D targets are 12×24 inch silhouettes and the “faces” on top are 6×6 inches. Shooting off tripods at these distances, 2 MOA is not bad, but working on doing better. Might have to switch to RRS tripod over the current Manfrottos.
    Also working on further lightening of the dmr-ish. Currently, depending on exact config, the setups still come in between 14 and 19 pounds out in the field. The 7.62×51 bolt gun is in the upper end of that same range, the 7.62×67 bolt gun is in the 16-22 pound range. Less crap on the rifles and trying proof barrels are on the list. Trying to get field weight down under 12 pounds, so standing unsupported is actually possible beyond 100yds. 🙂

mele-02
    Keymaster

I like what you have going there and I agree. Use the DMR style for rapid engagement and smaller type rifle. Your rifles look great, thanks for the pictures.

MEL

bryon_e
    Keymaster

I love the MK12 SPR! Probably my favorite AR style rifle. The MOD0 was great but I like the adjustable stock of the MOD1. I will own a clone someday.

Home Forums Equipment Rifles Army 's new SDM can big Army glean advice from our favorite SDM stlyed rifles.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.