Home Forums General Sniper Related Introductions New Member

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  davido 4 days, 22 hours ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

P308
    Participant

Hello everyone, wanted to start this topic as a way of introducing myself to the current SC members.

I just recently became a member and have been loving all the information I have been able to find on this site. I started to try and incorporate some of things I’ve learned into my line of work. I’m currently a Deputy in a small county in North GA. I’ve been on patrol for the last three years and currently serving on our departments SWAT team. I’ve been selected by the Team Leader to attend SWAT Sniper Course down at GPSTC in Forsyth. I love what I do and the people I work with. I want to do the best I can to help myself and the team to go home safe at the end of shift. I look forward to getting to know everyone on here and learning all I can.

Thank you for your time,
    P308

Current Rifle Setup- Remington 700P .308 24”Bull Barrel, HS precision stock, Harris 6-9” Optic- Vortex HST 6-24x VMR-1 reticle(MRAD)

mele-02
    Keymaster

Welcome aboard P308! Great to have you hear and its great to get to know who you are and what you do. We cannot tell our local LE guys thanks enough! You sometimes do a thankless job, so THANK YOU! I come from the military side, but I did go through a POST certified sniper school conducted by FBI HRT and FBI SWAT snipers so I did get some of the LE side as well.

Feel free to ask away! Always happy to help

MEL

coyotehunter
    Participant

Another New Member sayin “Hello”.
    Wasnt sure if this was the place to say Hi or if I need to start a new thread/topic of my own.
    Feel free to move if need be.

I am a civilian with a long range hunting/shooting interest.Found SC years ago and always enjoyed
    reading the articles that were posted.Glad to see the Forums brought back.

The current rig I am using is a slightly customized DPMS LR-308. Badger Ordinance Rings and Tac latch,Leupold Mk4 4.5-14x variable with mildot.Magpul PRS stock,JP adj trigger. The original 24in
    SS Bull barrel shoots so sweet I havent seen a need to replace it yet.

mele-02
    Keymaster

Welcome aboard and glad you can join us! I like your rifle, those LR308’s always seem to shoot good. Please post any questions and have fun!

MEL

davido
    Participant

Another newbie dropping in to say hi.
    Currently unrifled (call me a smoothbore?) but in the process of buying a Tikka T3x with a Hawke Vantage IR 6-24×50 for long-range target shooting. Just waiting, waiting, waiting… for all the paperwork.

David

bryon_e
    Keymaster

Welcome to the forums David. We have been very happy with Tikka firearms. Which model of the T3x are you getting?

davido
    Participant

Hi Byron. Getting a T3x Hunter in .308 when the paperwork is finished (one day). I have tacit approval for everything, and now just waiting on the stamped versions.

bryon_e
    Keymaster

Awesome! Just an FYI those light hunter barrels heat up mighty quick. In most cases when the barrel heats up your groups will start to spread.

• This reply was modified 5 days, 8 hours ago by  bryon_e.

davido
    Participant

Thanks for the info. Any idea what “mighty quick” translates to in terms of rounds per minute?

bryon_e
    Keymaster

Usually after 3 rounds you have to let the barrel cool. The light barrels just aren’t designed for heavy repetitive use like a varmint barrel is. Sometimes the shooter will get lucky and find a rifle that holds tight groups no matter how hot the barrel gets. That is VERY rare, and in those case we will tell the shooter to never sell the rifle 🙂

• This reply was modified 5 days, 8 hours ago by  bryon_e.

davido
    Participant

Thanks for the info. It was very useful. As it turns out I got my paperwork on the same day and after a long chat with the gun shop, I ordered the Varmint instead. Longer, heavier barrel, synthetic stock, and not much difference in price. Now I get to wait for delivery. Seems to be lots of waiting involved… 😉

Home Forums General Sniper Related Introductions New Member

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.