What skill have you always wanted to learn?

Home Forums Sniper Employment & Deployment Training What skill have you always wanted to learn?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  mele-02 1 month, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

mele-02
    Keymaster

I pose this question in an effort to keep our training curriculum at the leading edge. What is that one skill you always wanted to learn more in regards to sniping/long range training, but have never seen taught? What is missing?

let us know
    MEL

sulcop
    Participant

Mel,

I was fortunate to be on a team that has a advanced program but one skill set we had to work on solo was shooting from an uneven platform. Not talking about the board on chains in PRS, but a rocking platform aka a boat. Our team coveres a lot of coastal waters and we have a Maritime Assault Force and two boats. One boat is designated to provide cover to the assault team. We have still not perfected shooting from that platform and I couldn’t find any current schools. It is a Niche skill but would be applicable to some teams and challenging to anyone.

mele-02
    Keymaster

Good point. I have thought of setting up a floating platform in a inflatable kids pool or something like that to allow for some of this… might have to develop the idea further.

MEL

sulcop
    Participant

When you do I promise to finally make the trip out to one of your classes. By the way the rifle you made me still shoots under MOA and still sports the AICS chassis.

mele-02
    Keymaster

Sounds good! That could be a very good portion to add to advance class in the future….

Good to hear the rifle is still doing well!

MEL

kansas
    Participant

I want to do the “stalking” training … but I am usually by myself … so hard to measure results. So, I stalk critters, mostly at night … but sometimes in the day. Sort of “hunting without shooting”.
    But I would like to do a more organized exercise in this regard with critique, etc.

Michael Mecikalski
    Participant

Being “there” and absolutely NOBODY KNOWING…not with ANY DEVICE…dr k JR

mele-02
    Keymaster

I want to do the “stalking” training … but I am usually by myself … so hard to measure results. So, I stalk critters, mostly at night … but sometimes in the day. Sort of “hunting without shooting”.
    But I would like to do a more organized exercise in this regard with critique, etc.

Thank you for the input! Good to know. We have done some fieldcraft and stalking classes before, but for whatever reason they have not been very popular. I’m not sure if most people just want to shoot or if it is something else. I love the fieldcraft side of it.

We’ll see if we can role a little bit of stalking into some of our classes

MEL

kansas
    Participant

I try to spend about 2/3rds of my practice time on fieldcraft and 1/3rd on shooting … erring on the side of fieldcraft …

Most of the targets I want to hit … are multi-moa … even 2/3 IPSC at 750 yrds is 1.6 moa … so my shooting requirements have not been too tough … my observing and staking requirements (for myself) have been much tougher.

kansas
    Participant

Perhaps rather than “roll a little bit of stalking in” another option would be to note people interested in a fieldcraft focused class … and when you get enough interest, schedule such. That way the “I only want to shoot” people won’t have to suffer through the fieldcraft part of a class and the fieldcraft people can get immersed into fieldcraft … 🙂

Maybe only 1 class every year or two … but I would try to attend … I rolled up to South Dakota this year for a class … and I’d love an excuse to visit Montana.

mele-02
    Keymaster

Fair enough point
    MEL

Home Forums Sniper Employment & Deployment Training What skill have you always wanted to learn?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.