Your favorite sniper rifle

Home Forums Equipment Rifles Your favorite sniper rifle

Tagged: 

This topic contains 36 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  sulcop 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
  • Author

mele-02
    Keymaster

Okay, so what is it guys? Post your favorite sniper rifle of all time… and then WHY its your favorite.

Paratrooper4life
    Participant

M-24 hands down! Accurate, simple, rugged and as an Army guy anything else would just plain be wrong!

jhardy
    Participant

M40A1. It was my first love and always feels like home when i’m behind her. 🙂 Although the optics are much improved now.

mele-02
    Keymaster

The M24 ranges high on my list from when I carried one… its a part of me now.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  mele-02.

PBR-XP FAN
    Participant

My personal favorite is the DARPA/USMC XM-3 sniper rifle. I like this particular rifle due to its lighter weight and smaller profile compared to more traditional sniper rifles. Sadly, this platform was never developed to its full potential.

mele-02
    Keymaster

Hey, this is a different choice than many might recommend, and I love it! This is also in line with my thoughts on an ideal sniper rifle… one that focuses on the fieldcraft side. Keep the rifles light and compact to help the sniper due is craft, yet still deliver sub MOA at 1000 yards. Great pick!!

We have contemplated doing a writeup on a rifle build to fullfill the same requirements as the XM rifles were designed to fill. Obviously the USMC has decided to go a different route with their adoption of the Mk13 rifle… a mistake? Probably not, but I see a need for both!

MEL

sulcop
    Participant

AIAW, used by our SWAT team for the past 10 years of course the United Kingdom along with many other countries. I am retiring in a few weeks and so is our AIAW’s in favor of DTA SRS but I am hoping I am allowed to purchase mine on my way out. It has never failed me and I hated giving up our 700s in the M24 stocks when we got them in “08” but once I got used to the chassis I kind of fell in love. I even had Mel build me a 700 about 6-7 years ago in a AICS chassis, and the photo of it is in the rifle build gallery.

PBR-XP FAN
    Participant

Mel, thanks for the feedback, and glad to meet you. As far as the XM-3 is concerned, I think the only upgrades it would need for MOUT in today’s environment are the scope and the magazine system. The original scope on these rifles was the NF NXS 3.5-15×50(SFP), which I would replace with the NF ATACR F1 4-16×42 MIL/MIL with the MIL-R or the H-59 reticle. The original magazine on these rifles was a 5rd internal box w/ hinged floorplate, which I would upgrade to the Badger M5 DBM system. This would give you the flexibility to use Mk 316(175gr OTM), M80 Ball(149gr FMJ), or Mk 319(130gr OTM) as operational needs dictate. Would like to see your team build an “XM-3 Type” system and see what you come up with.

Randy V. aka PBR-XP FAN

jwarren14
    Participant

I think one of mine will be the M110 SASS. I have a few favorites, but for quicker engagements I prefer the M110.

cro789
    Participant

I am running the Desert Tech SRS A1 in 308. Itook it to NRA scoped rifle instructor school and it worked great. Left hand was a challenge but very doable. Always 1/2 inch or better. Working with 155 168 175 185 at 100 yards and less than 1/2 min point of impact. Greart rifle and ha Vortex AMG in moa.

mele-02
    Keymaster

Mel, thanks for the feedback, and glad to meet you…

… I would replace with the NF ATACR F1 4-16×42 MIL/MIL with the MIL-R or the H-59 reticle. The original magazine on these rifles was a 5rd internal box w/ hinged floorplate, which I would upgrade to the Badger M5 DBM system. This would give you the flexibility to use Mk 316(175gr OTM), M80 Ball(149gr FMJ), or Mk 319(130gr OTM) as operational needs dictate. Would like to see your team build an “XM-3 Type” system and see what you come up with.

Thanks Randy, good to meet you as well!

I really like your scope choice and that you didn’t go crazy with a moon scope. Keep is small and rugged. Good mag range.

We’ll put it on the project list, will be fun!
    MEL

Michael Mecikalski
    Participant

Not to be irritating, but if someone was not a military sniper, how is one supposed to know about your discussed equipment or calibers???…dr m

Michael Mecikalski
    Participant

Maybe you guys could say “well , you won’t know Mike”….well…what if I am INTERESTED????

Anonymous

Either ask questions or google or both !!! 🙂

mele-02
    Keymaster

Not to be irritating, but if someone was not a military sniper, how is one supposed to know about your discussed equipment or calibers???…dr m

Please, by all means ask! 🙂
    If you have a question, chances are… many other viewers have the same question. Many of the items and rifles we mention can be found on the sniper central main web page with pictures, reviews, commentary, etc. But please. ask away!

MEL

Michael Mecikalski
    Participant

OK…..please describe the M24….what optics did the military put on there???….what caliber…what bullet…what grain please???…dr m

Michael Mecikalski
    Participant

aaaaaand…..are the rifles that SNIPER CENTRAL “builds” comparable to the M24?

mele-02
    Keymaster

The rifles were/are built by Remington using a 700 long action (Actually a 40x) and chambered for 7.62x51mm NATO. They used a 24″ VERY HEAVY barrel with powder coating on the early rifles, that changed later. It fires the standard M118LR ammo. The original M118 Special Ball used a 173 FMJ-BT, the current M118LR uses SMK 175 HPBT. You can find out lots more about M118 here.

They used Leupold Ultra Mk4 10x40mm M3A scopes. Fixed power with a BDC calibrated for the M118 ammo.

You can find out more details here:
    Sniper Central Writeup

Let me know what else you would like to know. I carried one for 4+ years and own one now (part of the SC Collection)

MEL

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  mele-02.

mele-02
    Keymaster

That is hard to say. They were built to very specific specs using very specific components. The rifles we put together can be similar if ordered with the same parts and pieces.

MEL

Michael Mecikalski
    Participant

Would you care or dare to estimate THE COST of the M 24 and proper optics if one wanted to produce one???

Anonymous

GA Precision makes an M-24 clone for $4k.

http://www.gaprecision.net/custom-precision-rifles/all-rifles/us-army-m-24.html

==
    As to the optic, this is pretty close if you wanted a new scope.

https://www.eurooptic.com/leupold-mark-4-lrt-10×40-rifle-scope-30mm-tube-m3-mil-dot-47638.aspx?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIr_vo6aro2wIVDtbACh0PMAcdEAYYASABEgJN8_D_BwE

So $5k for the rifle and optic. Then you’d need several other items to complete the issued rifle plus accessories. Bipod, Sling, bayonet, deployment kit (tools and replacement parts), rings, base etc.

$10k ought to get it done for sure.

Michael Mecikalski
    Participant

Thank you so much…dr m

Anonymous

Now if you want an exact clone of the entire issued kit at a given point in time, that would be a huge labor of love involving a lot of research, hunting for old used parts and probably some machining etc.
    There are people that do that sort of thing, but I am not among them. 🙂

Michael Mecikalski
    Participant

what barrel is used by the military on the M 24?

Anonymous

24”, 416R Stainless Steel, 5R, 1:11.25 Twist

http://www.remingtonmilitary.com/firearms/sniper%20rifles/m24.aspx

Home Forums Equipment Rifles Your favorite sniper rifle

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.