Your favorite sniper rifle

Home Forums Equipment Rifles Your favorite sniper rifle

Tagged: 

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  mele-02 2 days, 8 hours ago.

• Author

mele-02
    Keymaster

Okay, so what is it guys? Post your favorite sniper rifle of all time… and then WHY its your favorite.

Paratrooper4life
    Participant

M-24 hands down! Accurate, simple, rugged and as an Army guy anything else would just plain be wrong!

jhardy
    Participant

M40A1. It was my first love and always feels like home when i’m behind her. 🙂 Although the optics are much improved now.

mele-02
    Keymaster

The M24 ranges high on my list from when I carried one… its a part of me now.

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by  mele-02.

PBR-XP FAN
    Participant

My personal favorite is the DARPA/USMC XM-3 sniper rifle. I like this particular rifle due to its lighter weight and smaller profile compared to more traditional sniper rifles. Sadly, this platform was never developed to its full potential.

mele-02
      Keymaster

Hey, this is a different choice than many might recommend, and I love it! This is also in line with my thoughts on an ideal sniper rifle… one that focuses on the fieldcraft side. Keep the rifles light and compact to help the sniper due is craft, yet still deliver sub MOA at 1000 yards. Great pick!!

We have contemplated doing a writeup on a rifle build to fullfill the same requirements as the XM rifles were designed to fill. Obviously the USMC has decided to go a different route with their adoption of the Mk13 rifle… a mistake? Probably not, but I see a need for both!

MEL

sulcop
    Participant

AIAW, used by our SWAT team for the past 10 years of course the United Kingdom along with many other countries. I am retiring in a few weeks and so is our AIAW’s in favor of DTA SRS but I am hoping I am allowed to purchase mine on my way out. It has never failed me and I hated giving up our 700s in the M24 stocks when we got them in “08” but once I got used to the chassis I kind of fell in love. I even had Mel build me a 700 about 6-7 years ago in a AICS chassis, and the photo of it is in the rifle build gallery.

PBR-XP FAN
    Participant

Mel, thanks for the feedback, and glad to meet you. As far as the XM-3 is concerned, I think the only upgrades it would need for MOUT in today’s environment are the scope and the magazine system. The original scope on these rifles was the NF NXS 3.5-15×50(SFP), which I would replace with the NF ATACR F1 4-16×42 MIL/MIL with the MIL-R or the H-59 reticle. The original magazine on these rifles was a 5rd internal box w/ hinged floorplate, which I would upgrade to the Badger M5 DBM system. This would give you the flexibility to use Mk 316(175gr OTM), M80 Ball(149gr FMJ), or Mk 319(130gr OTM) as operational needs dictate. Would like to see your team build an “XM-3 Type” system and see what you come up with.

Randy V. aka PBR-XP FAN

jwarren14
    Participant

I think one of mine will be the M110 SASS. I have a few favorites, but for quicker engagements I prefer the M110.

cro789
    Participant

I am running the Desert Tech SRS A1 in 308. Itook it to NRA scoped rifle instructor school and it worked great. Left hand was a challenge but very doable. Always 1/2 inch or better. Working with 155 168 175 185 at 100 yards and less than 1/2 min point of impact. Greart rifle and ha Vortex AMG in moa.

mele-02
    Keymaster

Mel, thanks for the feedback, and glad to meet you…

… I would replace with the NF ATACR F1 4-16×42 MIL/MIL with the MIL-R or the H-59 reticle. The original magazine on these rifles was a 5rd internal box w/ hinged floorplate, which I would upgrade to the Badger M5 DBM system. This would give you the flexibility to use Mk 316(175gr OTM), M80 Ball(149gr FMJ), or Mk 319(130gr OTM) as operational needs dictate. Would like to see your team build an “XM-3 Type” system and see what you come up with.

Thanks Randy, good to meet you as well!

I really like your scope choice and that you didn’t go crazy with a moon scope. Keep is small and rugged. Good mag range.

We’ll put it on the project list, will be fun!
    MEL

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.